Background Checks for Charities, Sports Coaches, Disaster Relief & Church Volunteers
The inability to uphold trust can be demoralizing for a non-profit organization, causing a great loss of community support, funding deficit or perhaps a culpable negligence legal action for irresponsible selection of a participant.
Correct identity verification should always be your first line of defense
It is crucial to properly validate true identity prior to ordering a criminal background check. Otherwise, you may be screening a relative or a friend of the volunteer with clean records. Visual verification of a driver’s license with a matching photo of the volunteer is a must.
Implementing a volunteer background screening policy
At very least, a screening policy should:
- Plainly specify the charity’s position and procedure for volunteer background checks
- Define the roles that entail criminal screening
- Identify the type of background screening necessary for each and every single job
- Designate the extent and channels for performing background checks
- Establish the criminal acts or other position related information that disqualifies a new or existing applicant
- Declare the costs associated with a background check as well as the financial responsibility on the volunteering applicant for part or all components of the background screening charges
- Designate the rate of recurrence of doing periodic background checks
- Guidelines should be publicized on the non-profit’s website or posted in the building where all potential and existing participants congregate.
How Volunteer Self-Pay, Self-Screen Works (optional at no charge)
Volunteer-based groups can now seamlessly integrate our volunteer “Self-Pay, Self-Screen” module into their website. In addition, we can brand it with your own logo, free of charge.
- Self-screening link can be sent by email, text or hosted from your website
- Applicants enter their information, uploads valid photo identification
- Signs electronic consent form
- Our report identifies all names, aliases and former names
- All those names are cross-searched in our nationwide criminal database
- Report is securely uploaded into your account to maintain its integrity and prevent any tampering
Preferred partner of
More knowledge: View compiled list of information resources for Nationwide Abuse Registry & Criminal History Records from government agencies.