Background Checks for Sports Coaches, Disaster Relief & Church Volunteers
Non-profit charities tend to be increasingly confronted by a security concern based on fulfilling their “help others” objective while at the same time, safeguarding the fragile people being helped. Volunteer based charities need to accomplish a sensitive balancing act; just how to precisely filter those who prey on the weak without having to offend devoted, privacy concerned volunteers.
Tip: Correct identity verification should always be your first line of defense
It is crucial to properly validate true identity prior to ordering a criminal background check. Otherwise, you may be screening a relative or a friend of the volunteer with clean records. Visual verification of a driver’s license with matching photo of volunteer is a must. Inability to uphold trust can be demoralizing to a not for profit organization, causing a great loss of community support, funding deficit or perhaps a culpable negligence legal action for irresponsible selection of a volunteer. Yet when confronted with an unpleasant event associated with the conduct of a volunteer, a non-profit volunteer organization does look far better by demonstrating that good faith time and effort was made when they originally conducted a criminal background check.
Implementing a volunteer background screening policy
At very least, a volunteer screening policy should:
- Plainly specify the charity’s position and procedure for volunteer background checks
- Define the volunteer roles that entail criminal screening
- Identify the type of background screening necessary for each and every single volunteer job
- Designate the extent and channels for performing background checks
- Establish the criminal acts or other position related information that disqualifies a new or existing volunteer
- Declare the costs associated of a background check as well as the financial responsibility on the volunteer for part or all components of the background screening charges
- Designate the rate of recurrence of doing periodic background checks
- Guidelines should be publicized on the non-profit’s web site or posted in the building where all potential and existing volunteers congregate.
To ease the financial burden on dedicated individuals who want to help your cause, we offer discounted rates for sports coaches, counselors & church volunteers.
How Volunteer Self-Pay, Self-Screen Works
Volunteer based groups can now seamlessly integrate our volunteer “Self-Pay, Self-Screen” module into their website. In addition, we can brand it with your own logo, free of charge.