Government and industry know-how publications regarding using background checks for determining employment and rental decisions. Stay up-to-date with changes affecting compliance. Learn from official government and industry resources the do’s and don’ts of legally screening an applicant.
All knowledge articles below are in PDF format.
- Best Practice Standards: The Proper Use of Criminal Records in Hiring – Source: Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- What Employers Need to Know about Consumer Reports – Source: Federal Trade Commission
- A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act – Source: Federal Trade Commission
- California Law Regarding Background Checks – FCRA Summary
- Disposing of Consumer Report Information – Source: Federal Trade Commission
- Employers Guidance for Completing Form I-9 – Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Ban the Box toolkit – Source: National Employment Law Project
In a nutshell, all employers should
- Minimize the risk of liability from hiring an unfit employee
- Comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Comply with the EEOC Guidance as well as state and local anti-discrimination laws