Updated resources for compliant background checks
Government and industry know-how publications regarding using background checks for determining employment and rental decisions. Stay up-to-date with changes affecting how you perform background checks. Learn from official government and industry resources the do’s and don’ts.
All knowledge articles below are in PDF format.
- Best Practice Standards: The Proper Use of Criminal Records in Hiring – Source: Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- What Employers Need to Know about Consumer Reports – Source: Federal Trade Commission
- A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act – Source: Federal Trade Commission
- California Law Regarding Background Checks – FCRA Summary
- Disposing of Consumer Report Information – Source: Federal Trade Commission
- Employers Guidance for Completing Form I-9 – Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- My Brother’s Keeper Task Force Report to the President – Source: The White House
- Ban the Box toolkit – Source: National Employment Law Project
- The Use of Criminal Background Checks in Hiring Decisions – Source: Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
In a nutshell, all employers should
- Minimize the risk of liability from hiring an unfit employee
- Comply with the EEOC Guidance as well as state and local anti-discrimination laws
- Comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act